Sunday, January 25, 2009

O dear another year!

Another frigid day here in Kansas and I understand that we may get ice overnight! YUCK! I don't mind snow but I hate ice, especially driving on it! But today was great because Mike didn't have to work today. His brother Rusty offered to work the day for him so he could have a Sunday off with us! Isn't that sweet? I sure thought so. We spent the whole day together playing games and watching movies.

Here is a fun little layout that I did not too long ago of a casual birthday celebration for my dad. The older he gets the more he insists on us not doing any "big celebrating" for his birthday. So we usually just stop by or have dinner.

Now, since it is such a cold day out I decided to make potato soup for dinner. Yum ola! This is a family favorite here. So I am going to share the recipe with you. The first time I had it was at this little tea room, Riverside Cup of Tea, and I loved it so much that I bought their little cookbook.

Golden Potato Soup

6 potatoes - peeled & diced
1 carrot
1 stick celery
5 c chicken broth (or 5 c. water and 2 boullion cubes)
1 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
1 can (13 oz) evaporated milk
1 tsp. parsley
1/3 c. Velveeta
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine

Cook vegetables in broth, salt, and pepper till tender. Stir in milk, cheese, butter and parsley. Heat slowly. To extend soup add a bit more milk, salt and potato flakes. Serves 8-10.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Sarah :) said...

Toni, that soup sounds SOOOO GOOD!! Yummy yummy for these cold days we're having!

JoEtta Zabel said...

What a nice weekend. That was really nice of Rusty to do. I miss going to Riverside Cup of tea and you are so right...that is the best Potato soup....yum-o.

Nikki said...

Soup looks great. Thank you for the recipe. I love the extra tag on the page, it definitely tells you what you are celebrating.